Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Posting

For the last year or so people have been asking me, "Why don't you have a blog?" Many were surprised to find out that I didn't have one in fact. Theyknow I write. They know I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the internet in forums, groups, and such. So why no blog? Well primarily because I didn't think I'd update it enough to make it worth the time to create one, and that may yet prove true. But my friend Beth, who is wise in the ways of blogging says to me, she says, "If you just talk about all the stuff you read it would fill a blog." She has a point. I read a lot. Five books a week average and that can jump to ten or more depending on what goes on. Reading is my primary form of entertainment and has been for most of my life. Now when people learn that I read so much, they often get this idea that I'm a highbrow of some sort, sitting in my study, wearing my smoking jacket, with War and Peace propped on my knee. No. Uh uh. I have read War and Peace. But I draw no distinction when itcomes to reading. I will read classics and I will read trash. I love it all. My favorite genres are mystery and fantasy. My favorite non fiction subjects are literary studies, biographies, and history. Just for a crosssection lets check what the last six books I read were. Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Hundred Dollar Baby by Robert B. Parker. Everyday life inAncient Mesopotamia, by Jean Bottéro. Conan: The Road of Kings by Karl Edward Wagner. The Warhound and the World's Pain by Michael Moorcock. Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts. Hmmm, a little heavy on the fantasy this week. Let's see. What else? I'm an anglophile. I love Charles Dickens, JaneAusten, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (hence the title of my blog) and many manyothers. I have an unhealthy obsession with the fantasy sub genre known as sword & sorcery. Anyway, more on all that later. This should serve as a first post and an introduction. Welcome to my blog.

4 comments:

cliffbig said...

Welcome to the world of blogging!

The Mesopotamia book sounds intriguing; what did you think of it?

Laura Kinsale said...

Joined the Dark Side have you? ;P

I like the title! But then you are always good at titles, durn you.

(PW needs a name, btw. Lure...lure...)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I liked it quite a bit, Cliff. Very cool info. You're welcome to borrow it.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

YOU should talk about the Dark Side, Miss Wish...