Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve and all is...closed?

So my family isn't having a Christmas Eve dinner this year. Much like the Thanksgiving Breakfast tradition I mentioned last month, we have abandoned something we've been doing my entire life. We will be meeting over at the assisted living facility where my paternal grandmother resides at 7:00 pm, and I can only assume we will, once again, see her in shifts.
Anyway, I had a big breakfast early this morning so I didn't get hungry again until a little before 4:00. I knew that I needed to put some gas in the truck before heading North and my usual gas station is across the street from a Zaxby's, so I figured I'd fill up the tank, then grab a chicken sandwich on my way back.
Zaxby's was closed.
Hmmm, I thought. Why the heck is a fast food place closed on Christmas Eve? It's not like this is a major holiday. Many places may close early but it's not quite 4:00.
So I decided I'd swing in to Los Reyes, a Mexican restaurant that's on my way back to my apartment.
Los Reyes was closed.
At this point I was starting to get a little irritated. I mean, all I wanted was a quick bite to eat. (And yes I have food at home but that's not the point.) So I drove up the street to Wendy's. THEY were open and I got a chicken sandwich and a coke and came back, sneering at Zaxby's and Los Reyes as I passed.

1 comment:

cliffbig said...

I also noted that Papa John's was open until 8pm. Not sure why they're the only pizza place that's open, but that seems to be the case.

I, too, am amazed that Christmas closings now extend from about 4pm on Christmas Eve until the morning of the 26th.

Knowing this to be the new norm, though, we have leftover pizza ready for tomorrow afternoon--a tradition that goes back many years.