Friday, December 15, 2006

Mauled

I finished Christmas shopping Yesterday. My list is not huge, usually about eleven people, and most years I'm done shopping by Thanksgiving. It used to be a running joke in my family. It's Thanksgiving so Charles must be finished shopping. I almost made it. I still had three presents to go on November 23rd. One of those arrived by mail last week and I handled the other two yesterday.
My dad and I used to like to go to the shopping mall on Christmas Eve and watch the desperation set in. Wild eyed people, wandering panic stricken from store to store, checking off lists, scrambling to find the last doll or game. Tears, screaming, fear and loathing. The occasional shouting match. Real peace on earth, good will toward men kind of stuff.
Nowadays the Malls are so crowded by the day before Christmas that the traffic keeps us from going to watch the carnage. Just too much trouble to get in and out of the parking lot. Sometimes I kinda miss the action. Ah. memories.

No comments: