Saturday, January 06, 2007

Used Books


I headed out early this morning for the Marietta Book Nook, which has become my primary used book store. They have a good turnover of product, so it's worth checking in there every few weeks. Had a couple of good finds today. I got:

The Laughter of Carthage by Michael Moorcock. This is the second of Moorcock's 'Between the Wars' series. Hard to come by in the US and not the usual thing one expects from the creator of Elric. The four books in the series follow the adventures of Col Pyatt, a antisemitic Jew as he lies, cheats, and steals his way across Europe and America in the days between world wars one and two.

Gloriana by Michael Moorcock. This is Moorcock's tribute to Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels and to Spencer's The Faerie Queen. I already had a copy but I hated the cover and this one has a very classy cover. The old one will disappear into the box of books I'm donating to the Friends of the Library Booksale.

Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock. Everybody and his second cousin (including Michael Moorcock. Hi Mike.) has been recommending this author and this book to me, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. My mom asked me to get her a copy of this book because she wanted to re-read it. I asked her if that meant she had lost my copy that I loaned her like twenty years ago. She said yes.

That's all for the Book Nook. I stopped at the Cobb Antique Mall on the way back to see if they had any paperbacks or comics and came away with Savage Sword of Conan issue 200, which was an issue I had been looking for for some time. A nice surprise.
All and all it was a successful bookstore run.

1 comment:

Lanny said...

Wow...Conan looks so...barbaric on that cover. Jusko really captured a lot of emotion in that one. The expression on Conan's face looks like a random unflattering snap shot than a carefully orchestrated illustration.