Monday, February 19, 2007

Picking Up the Pieces


About that Ebay bid I won. When I moved to my apartment two years back, I got rid of A LOT of stuff. Over 3400 books and over 10,000 comic books and tons of other things I'd accumulated in the almost two decades I lived in my house. My current living conditions have been described as Spartan. I'd argue that, since I still have plenty of books, but I'll admit the place looks darn uncluttered, which is just how I like it.

In the time since I moved I have missed very few of the things I got rid of. In fact the only thing I can think of is the later issues of Savage Sword of Conan Magazine. I kept the first 60 issues because they had all the best art and the best adaptations of the original Robert E. Howard Conan stories. The later issues, after writer Roy Thomas left, simply weren't as good, and yet, lately I've been wishing I still had them. So I decided the other day to get them back.

Now keep in mind, I never had a full set. Just 1-60 and scattered issues between 60 and the final issue, 235. I think I had fifty or sixty later issues all told. I began checking on Ebay the last couple of weeks, looking for long runs of the series as lots because the shipping would kill me if I bought one or two issues at a time. I am still on a budget, after all. (The magazines themselves aren't rare or valuable, except for the early issues and I have those.) What I needed were big groups of reading copies. Unfortunately, every time I'd find a nice set, somebody, more often than not a comics shop, would outbid me. I don't bid-war on Ebay. I learned my lesson the hard way, years ago. I bid what I'm willing to pay and if I get outbid, I let it go.

This weekend I spotted a lot of over 80 consecutive issues for a reasonable price, so I made my top bid and crossed my fingers. And I won. The seller had over a thousand sales and no negative feedback so I figure I can believe his grading, and he says all the issues are very good to near mint. I'd have been fine with good but better is better. I'll take it. And I paid less than original cover price for them.

Anyway, I've mailed my payment, so in the next few weeks I should be receiving a very big box of black and white Conan magazines. Added to what I still have that will give me close to two thirds of the full run of the series. Heck, I may have to just get all of them this time.

No comments: