Sunday, February 04, 2007

Beyond the Gate of Dreams

I have a lot of very vivid dreams. Always have. And about a third of those dreams are what are known as Lucid Dreams. That means that while I'm experiencing the dream I am fully aware of the fact that I am actually asleep and dreaming and often I can control what happens in the dream. The level of control varies. Sometimes I'm aware that I'm dreaming, but the dream progresses in its own way without any interference from me. Other times I am in complete control and can do...well, anything. Makes for some interesting nights.
Anyway, this morning I had kind of an odd experience. I woke up at about 4:00 am and couldn't get right back to sleep. I wasn't ready to get up yet, so I began thinking about a plot for a story idea that had occurred to me the previous night. I often plot stories as I'm waiting to fall asleep. Beats the heck out of counting sheep.
So I'm plotting this idea about a warrior who is called upon to defend a remote medieval city from a band of marauding giants. Somewhere during this, I drifted back off, only to find that I was still plotting, only from inside. I was walking around this medieval hall, seeing some of the characters from my idea. I wasn't a character, myself. Still me, but inside the story. I actually came up with a couple of usable plot twists as I was descending a stairwell.
The oddest part of the dream was when a sorcerer, who wasn't part of the plot, stopped me and asked me what I was doing in the castle. We talked for a bit and he revealed that he was a member of a pre-human race put on the earth by Elder Gods. I asked if these were the same Elder Gods from the Cthulhu mythos, and he warned me, "Not to utter the names of those gods lest I invoke them."
Shortly after that I woke up suddenly. It was a weird transition because the dream had seemed so real, it was almost as if I'd been instantaneously teleported from the castle back to my apartment. What dreams may come, indeed.

2 comments:

Bentochan said...

Heh. I had a dream the other night that I was Wolverine. Mostly I did a lot of running around and slashing things- it wasn't a plot-heavy dream but man was it fun.

Lanny said...

Dagnabbit...