Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rethinking Ernie

In an earlier post, I talked a bit about comic book inker, Ernie Chan. Mostly I talked about how I had never cared for his work. I'm going to have to rethink that. As I've been reading through some of the issues of Savage Sword of Conan that I've purchased recently, I've had the chance to see more of Chan's work on artists other than John Buscema. Buscema I think was the key to my dislike of Chan. Buscema is one of my favorite artists, and I never thought his style merged well with Chan's. Ernie just seemed to put too much scribbling on Busecema's pencil work.
Anyway, the mid run issues of SSoC used a lot of different pencilers, but there's a big chunk that were penciled by Gary Kwapisz, an artist with a more cartoonish style than Buscema. Chan's work on top of Kwapisz's pencils is much smoother than his work on Buscema. There's a lot of nice linework, particularly on trees and rocks and background material. I don't know if Chan just had more leeway with Kwapisz's pencils or if the styles were just a better match. Whatever the reason, there have been times I've had to check the credits to make sure that Chan was the inker on a particular issue. It's that big a difference. So, my apologies, Ernie. You're a better artist than I gave you credit for.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

I've got to admit, the moment I read "Rethinking Ernie", my mind submitted me with a very different picture. Something to do with yellow talking puppets in striped pullovers and rubber duckies... rofl Though I've got to say I'd love an essay you'd right about *that*. ;)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

heh heh, yes, that would be quite a different essay.