Friday, March 30, 2007

Off To Middle Earth


I'll be visiting Middle Earth today, joining the open beta test for the Lord of the Rings Online RPG.
I've been playing another MMORPG called Guild Wars on and off for the last couple of years, so don't worry, I'm not going to get addicted. (For some reason this is the first thing anyone brings up whenever I mention that I play online games. Much like unfounded fears of satanic teachings in Dungeons and Dragons, this seems to be all that the uninitiated know about online games.)
Anyway, unlike other online RPGs that are set in worlds specifically created for the games, this one is set in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth. I'll be interested in seeing how the books and movies have been translated in the game. I've heard good reports so far.
I'll be playing a tank. A tank, in the vernacular (it's a doiby!") is a warrior character who can take and dish out a lot of punishment. Not usually the flashiest characters, they're one that most adventuring parties like to have around because they can kill a lot of stuff and make good monster fodder.
I will, of course, be playing alongside my pal Laura, seemingly mild mannered Romance writer, who is secretly rad gamer grrrl. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: