Sunday, March 11, 2007

Weekend Movies

I took a break from the Hercules:The Legendary Journeys Marathon this weekend to watch a few other DVDs. Finished up the last two episodes of the second season of the new Doctor Who series. The finale was heart wrenching in a way that I never would have equated with the old series, but the writers on the new version have really done their job in making the characters into people that you care about.
Also watched Kill Bill parts one and two. It may surprise some of you, knowing of my fondness for action movies and Quentin Tarentino's directing, that I hadn't already seen these two films, but I can answer that in two words. Uma Thurman. I don't find her attractive and I don't think she can act. Since I knew she'd be in practically every scene, I wasn't too interested in seeing Kill Bill.
But, I read an interesting article about the movies and their use of 1970s exploitation films as grist for their plots, so I decided what they hey. I ended up enjoying them, though I still wasn't taken with Uma. But hey, Sonny Chiba is in part one. And David Carradine is Bill. And there are some great nods of the hat to Kung Fu movies, samurai films, and even anime. It's a pop culture fest to be sure. Anyway, I bought em cheaper than I can rent them, so I'll probably watch em again at some point.

3 comments:

Jeri said...

Aw. I only saw the first part, but all I can say is you can never go wrong with Lucy Liu. ;)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

That Lucy is something all right. You seem to have a thing for Lucys. heh.

Jeri said...

*droll look* I think their first name is about the only thing they have in common. LOL