Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I haven't given a weight loss report in a while. Gotten so used to eating right and all that it's kind of become second nature. Coming up on 20 weeks since I began my eating program and I've lost just under 40 pounds. Need to drop six to eight more pounds to reach the goal I began with. It's getting tougher now. My body has become more efficient, so the weight loss is slowing down. I'm adding more cardiovascular training to keep my metabolism geared up.
I can do 51 pushups in a minute now. My next goal is to start doing 400 pushups a day. That's what a wrestling coach recommends for good upper body conditioning. Pushups make for useful muscle as opposed to aesthetic muscle. A lot of the visible muscle you get from weightlifting isn't actually that useful. It just looks impressive. Pushups make a lot of your muscle groups, chest, shoulders, arms, work together, especially if you vary your hand positioning between sets. (Wide, narrow, etc.) Anyway that's my next goal. He also recommends 500 crunches every day. Dunno if I want to do that or not. Yeesh.
I should probably mention that all of this has been made possible by my two plus decades of karate training. The discipline and the approach to living that traditional martial arts teaches you is far far more important than the self defense benefits. Karate taught me to make a plan and work toward it. In many ways I'm a pretty disorganized kind of person, but all those years of training taught me to knuckle down and get the job done when I have to. Have to remember to thank my brother Doug for that, yet again.
Oh well, guess I'll go do some more pushups...

4 comments:

Beth said...

This entire post is sickening. In a totally impressive and admirable way, of course, but still: sick.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, I did 200 crunches before I left for work this morning. Now that's sick.

Jeri said...

Oh, we so hate you, Charles. LOL

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Ah, I can feel the love in the room...