Monday, May 28, 2007

Legendary Companion


I ordered Hercules:The Official Companion book for 96 cents from Amazon. Best deal I've gotten in a while. This behind the scenes book has the most insider information I've ever seen in a book of this type. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, involved with the show took time to give interviews and there is a wealth of that sort of information, which fascinates me. (I've watched the 'making of' extras of the Lord of the Rings DVDs far more than the movies themselves.)
Anyway, the best parts for me are the entries known as 'Kevin's Take' and 'Michael's Take' which appear at the ends of most of the episode synopses. Here Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) and Michael Hurst (Iolaus) give you their thoughts on the episode and sometimes tell anecdotes about the filming.
One thing I found pretty amusing was that almost every time I had watched an episode and said to myself, That was really dumb, or Hercules would never do that, both actors said much the same thing in their 'takes'. Like, "I tried to tell the writers this was stupid and Herc wouldn't do that, but hey I'm just the actor." Funny stuff.
If you're a fan of the show, you definitely want this book. Tons of fun reading. It only goes through the third season, but I understand there's a second volume, so I'll have to track that down. Heck, I got another 96 cents burning a hole in my pocket.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

There's a companion book by Robert Weisbrot about Xena. It only covers the first and second seasons, but it's one of the best behind-the-scenes book I've ever read - and I'm a long-time Star Trek fan and they've put out some good ones, too. Well worth reading!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'll see about getting that too. The Herc companion book does have interviews with Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Conner as well.