Sunday, May 13, 2007

On Any Sunday

Met my mom and dad for breakfast this morning. Gave mom her mother's day present and chatted with she and dad a bit. I'd just had dinner with them on Thursday night so we didn't really have a lot of catching up to do.
Afterwards I swung by Borders and picked up Robert B. Parker's young adult novel, Edenville Owls. Read about half of it and was underwhelmed. Fond as I am of Bob, he doesn't seem to have the knack for YA.
What else have I been reading this weekend? Hemingway short stories. Read 'The Short happy Life of Francis Macomber', which is one of uncle Ernest's most famous shorts. It reads very very well in terms of prose, but its plot defies logic. I got what Hemingway was trying to say about cowardice and love, but the story still doesn't make a lot of sense. There's a bit more of the inner lives of the characters than you get in later Hemingway, such as 'Hills Like White Elephants' where he's trying to achieve the effect of the reader eavesdropping on an arguing couple without ever knowing what either of the characters is thinking.
Tried one of Lee Child's thrillers. Wasn't thrilled. Read a graphic novel called 'The Salon' which I was extremely impressed with. More about that later. Re-read Karl Edward Wagner's Kane short story 'Raven's Eyrie.' Also read several issues of Savage Sword of Conan.
I watched a bunch of episodes of Hercules of course and I picked up three more seasons of Xena, which were on sale.
Basically it was a pretty unfocused weekend, and now it's Sunday evening and I'm a little annoyed at myself, as usual, for not getting much of anything accomplished. But hey, that's life in the real world.

No comments: