Friday, June 01, 2007

At Patiences End


Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is too long, has too many subplots (but no real plot), is too long, rambles badly, and, oh yeah, it's too long. The series has hit the point of diminishing returns for me. I really liked the first one, was okay with the second one, and unfortunately, didn't care much for the third one.
There's some fun stuff. ILM does the usual bang up job of the special effects. Keira Knightley is quite the hottie. Johnny Depp is his usual impressive self. Keith Richards does indeed make a cameo.
But overall the movie just seems, in the words of Jack Burton, to go nowhere. Fast. There's also some pretty questionable moral base for the actions of the supposed heroes, which doesn't set well with me, but I'd have to take the movie way too seriously to discuss that, and I don't. Did I mention it's too long? I found myself checking my watch pretty frequently in the last hour of the movie.
There were a couple of middle age ladies in the audience today who were obviously all about the Depp, and they giggled and cooed whenever he made a face or said something clever. I think that pretty much sums the movie up. If you like to see Depp do his thing, you'll probably have a good time. If you were hoping for a story that makes any kind of sense, well, you should probably pick another movie. This one could have used some serious editing.

5 comments:

Lanny said...

You know, I haven't seen one of these movies.

Would you advise to watch the first and forget the rest?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, that would be my take. The first one is self contained and quite a lot of fun.

Jared Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared Miller said...

One of the things I did not like about this movie are the multiple Cpt. Sparrows that would pop up. I could not stand that.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

There were parts of the movie I liked. The occasional clever line or nice special effect. The parts just didn't add up to an enjoyable sum for me.