Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Bruce and Amelia Show

I was awoken this morning by a small kitten industriously licking my nose.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Mew," he squeaked, and switched to licking my jaw line.
My friend Trish is out of town and her cats, Amelia and Bruce, are crashing with me. Amelia, who is about five years old, has stayed with me many times before. Bruce, a kitten Trish adopted from the Atlanta Humane Society about a month ago, is making his first visit to my place. Obviously he feels right at home.
The visit got off to a bit of a rocky start. Amelia is a Bengal, one of those cats that's as close to being a wildcat as a cat can be and still be considered a domestic animal. She's a beautiful cat. Brown and gray, with black markings. But she is not a friendly kitty. You can only pet her if she approaches you. You cannot pick her up. Independent. I got no problem with that. But, whenever Trish leaves her, Amelia usually has about two days where she's mad at the world and grumbles and growls and hisses to herself like she has feline Tourettes syndrome. She also meows and howls a lot. That extended to four days this visit, because every time I thought she was coming around, Bruce, who believes the world is a 24/7 play party, would attack her and send her off again. Last night, when I got home from Dr. No's, Amelia actually came over to get petted and she slept all night without getting up to howl at the injustice of being deserted in Kennesaw.
Bruce is the polar opposite. This is a people guy. Wherever you are is where he wants to be. If I am seated, he is in my lap. If I walk, he is underfoot. When I go to bed, he is curled up beside me. And he likes to lick my nose. Very affectionate kitty. Luckily for him, I'm not as jumpy as I used to be, and I don't sleep with a gun at hand. (Well there's one within easy reach, but that's another story.) He's a Russian Blue, with enormous green eyes and squeaky meow.
Anyway, they're with me until June 16th. Always takes me a couple of days to get used to having something living in the apartment. Yesterday I thought I'd forgotten to bump the AC on when I left for work. Since it was going to be in the 90s that afternoon. and it gets very hot in my apartment, I went home at lunch to check on the cats. The AC was on, of course, and Amelia was sleeping on top of a box in one corner and Bruce was playing with his scratching pad in another. Just another day for The Bruce and Amelia Show

No comments: