Monday, July 30, 2007

Reading Report Redux

Well, as I noted, my reading habits are hard to predict. I didn't end up reading either of the books I had thought might come next. Instead I read A History of Private Life Volume One: From Ancient Rome to Byzantium, which is pretty much what it sounds like, and Dean and Me, which is Jerry Lewis's memoir of his ten year partnership with Dean Martin as the comedy team, Martin and Lewis.
I enjoyed both books. From the former I picked up many interesting tidbits about life in the Medieval world, and from the latter I learned quite a bit that I didn't know about both Martin and Lewis. I'm something of a fan of the Rat Pack, so I have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge about that period of Dean Martin's life, but my knowledge of the early part of his career was limited to what I'd seen on an episode of A&E's Biography. Dean and Me gives all the back story of both men's early careers literally from the day they met by chance and were introduced by a mutual acquaintance. Fascinating stuff.

No comments: