Thursday, August 09, 2007

Lord of the Book Case


There's a fairly large market among collectors of comic books and popular fiction for statues of various heroes. You can purchase amazingly detailed sculptures of Superman, Thor, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Batgirl, and pretty much any other comic hero you can think of, plus a wide selection of other fictional characters, running the gamut from Buffy to Captain Kirk or from The Terminator to the Three Stooges. Though I've admired quite a few of these over the years, I've almost always managed to resist the temptation to buy one of these miniature marvels. There was, however, one notable exception and now there are two.
Several years back, Hard Hero Enterprises came out with an absolutely beautiful Conan statue, based on the art of my favorite Conan illustrator, the late John Buscema. I couldn't pass that one up. It stands proudly atop one of three book cases that run along the back wall of my living room. It was a limited edition and its value has increased considerably over the years. That doesn't mean much to me. I was just glad to get a nifty Conan statue.
About six months ago, Reel Art Studios announced that they would be releasing a statue of Tarzan based on the cover of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel Tarzan and the Golden Lion by classic Tarzan illustrator John Allen St. John. After seeing the prototype sculpt, I pre-ordered one on the spot. It came in last night. It's a beautiful statue that really does manage to capture the look of the cover painting. Jad-Bal-Ja, the titular golden lion, was always a favorite character of mine. He was a lion cub that Tarzan found and raised and he appeared several times over the years in various Tarzan novels and even more often in the Tarzan comic books. So it's definitely cool to have a statue of not only the lord of the jungle, but of his faithful feline companion as well. (I always thought if I got an amber colored cat that I would name him Jad-Bal-Ja.)
I plan to display the statue on top of one of the other three book shelves, not far from Conan. That will probably be it for me as far as statues go. The only other statue I can think of that I'd really like to have would be a nice sculpt of Sherlock Holmes. Haven't seen one that I liked as of yet.

2 comments:

wla said...

você poderia me passar o endereço, para que eu possa comprar uma estatueta dessa! eu fiquei muito fascinado por ela!!! obrigado!!!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

The statue was made by Reelart Studio. Check here.

http://www.reelartstudios.com/ArtGalleries/EdgarRiceBurroughs/tarzanandthegoldenlion.htm