Sunday, August 19, 2007

When in Rome...


Several people had been recommending that I give the HBO series Rome a try. Boy were they on target. I love this show. Absolutely love it. Violent and sexy. Extremely well written with wonderful actors and high quality production values. What's not to like? The overall plots are familiar to me from my reading of history and there's some nifty period detail.
Favorite characters? So far, Atia of the Julii and Titus Pullo. Atia is about as amoral as they come, doing anything, and I mean anything, to get what she wants. Played with relish by actress Polly Walker, whose rather unearthly beauty originally caught my attention in the British film Enchanted April a decade or so back. I think she's even lovelier now.
Titus Pullo, as played by Ray Stevenson, wins the "I could be Conan" award for the year. I mean anyone whose motto is "I kill my enemies, take their gold, and enjoy their women." would fit right in with the big Cimmerian's world view.
Anyway, I'm glad I found the first season used on DVD. This is the most fun I've had with a new TV series since the new Doctor Who.

No comments: