Sunday, September 23, 2007

Clerks and More Clerks


This is apparently my weekend to watch movies that everyone has recommended to me but I never got around to watching. My pals Brett and Jared went one better than recommending though. They actually brought me DVDs of Clerks and Clerks 2. Now I'd seen some of Kevin Smith's films, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, so I was familiar with his universe, but oddly I'd never gotten around to watching either of the Clerks films. I watched Clerks yesterday and Clerks 2 today. I liked the first one a lot and absolutely loved the second one. I can see why the guys like these movies so much. They're good films all around, sharp and witty, but more than that, they definitely speak to those of us who march to the beats of different drummers.
Were I a cynical type, I might say that the films celebrate under achieving. But I'm not and they don't. If they celebrate anything it's knowing who you are and doing what genuinely makes you happy even if it's not what everyone else in the world thinks you should do. Fitting in isn't everything. Maybe it's not anything. These are lessons I'd already learned, but always nice to see them championed somewhere else. Plus, Clerks 2 in particular is a meditation on friendship and love. Both things carry a cost and the cost is worth it.
And of course the movies are funny as all get out. I was actually chuckling at the impromptu dance number in the middle of the film. Just great. Oh and that Rosario Dawson? Woof!
So thanks Brett and Jared. Excellent recommendations.

1 comment:

Brett Brooks said...

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed them! Clerks 2 is one of my favorite films of the last decade, and I think the one that I may have seen the most. I can't help it, but the first time I watched that movie, I thought, "that's my life up there." Great stuff, and even better that you enjoyed them.