Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cooking with Bruce

Trish doesn't let her cats eat people food. I respect her wishes when they are with me, and only feed them cat food. (Though I slip in Pounce kitty treats, which they love.) Now Amelia seems fine with this. She rarely shows any interest in what I'm cooking or eating. Not so with the Brucester.
Bruce is not only determined to get his paws on whatever I am eating, he attempts to do so the entire time I am preparing the food. For example, this morning's breakfast went some thing like this.
Go into kitchen. Throw Bruce off the counter. Open cabinet get PAM spray. Throw Bruce off the counter. Spray pan an add egg beaters. Place pan on stove. Throw Bruce off the counter. Get sausage ready. Throw Bruce off the counter. Start coffee maker. Check on eggs. Throw Bruce off the counter.
Get the idea? Now since I don't want cat hair in my eggs and because I always wash my hands thoroughly before I start cooking, and don't want to have to stop and wash them again countless times, I have this down to an art. I only touch food with my right hand and I only pick up Bruce and throw him off the counter with my left. This gets a little chancy toward the end as I'm trying to add seasoning and cheese to my eggs. I need both hands to some degree and Bruce realizes this is his best chance to actually stick his nose into whatever I'm working on. But, fortunately my years of martial arts training have taught me to use my forearms and elbows efficiently and I manage to block all attempts to get to my eggs.
Now I move to the desk so I can check emails and such while I eat. Take a bite. Throw Bruce off the desk. Use the mouse. Throw Bruce off the desk...

3 comments:

Gabriele C. said...

Roflol.

Though I bet when he's back home you'll miss all that cat throwing. :)

Jeri said...

ROFL. Post a pic of Bruce and Amelia when you have a chance?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'll see what I can do, Jeri. I don't have a digital camera, but Trish does. I'll try and get her to take pictures of the pair and send them to me to post here.