Monday, October 22, 2007

Halloween Reading

Beth has asked for Halloween reading recommendations. I love Halloween and I always try to read something creepy as October 31st rolls around. Two of my very favorite Halloween reads are by Ray Bradbury. You could do far far worse than to read Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Halloween Tree. Of the two, Something Wicked is my favorite, so if you only have time for one, go with that. If you don't have time to read a novel, then I'll also recommend Bradbury's collection, The October Country. There are some classic Bradbury short stories in this one, including The Dwarf, The Small Assassin, and Skeleton. Chillers all.
I'll also recommend some short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. Can't go wrong with The Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and my personal favorite, The Dunwich Horror. Gibbering and slavering things from the outer dark. If you can get your hands on a copy of Karl Edward Wagner's horror collection, In a Lonely Place, there are some amazingly disturbing horror short stories there as well. Read 'Sticks' or 'The River of Nights Dreaming' and I bet you don't sleep well. Hard to find but worth tracking down.
If you're up for something a bit more literary, I'm a big fan of Bram Stoker's classic, Dracula. Still a powerful book after all these years. Also, Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, which remains a disturbing ghost story.
If you're short of cash or not near a library, check out the wide selection of creepy short stories, novels, and articles at The Literary Gothic web page. Some classic horror stories there and all for free.

http://www.litgothic.com/index_fl.html

No comments: