Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Less Than Masterful

Some things are best left in our memories. I had speculated in a previous post that the movie Beastmaster might have been the best sword & sorcery film made so far.
No. No it's not.
Having just watched it again for the first time in ten or fifteen years, I still found it an enjoyable movie, but it's far too dopey to be considered a good sword & sorcery film. It does have the right look, more early Mesopotamian than Medieval, and I think that's what my mind was remembering. But there are far too many campy moments and just plane goofy scenes. As I said, I do still like the movie. I'm glad I bought a copy. It's just not as good as I remember it being.
So that puts me back to square one. There may never have been a really good S&S film, one that actually catches the feeling of the genre. There are plenty of good swashbuckling films, but none have the element of horror that most good S&S has. Hmmm, were I suddenly offered the money to film a true S&S film, how would I approach it? That requires some thought. I'll get back to you.

No comments: