Friday, November 09, 2007

If I Won the Lottery

What would I do if I won the lottery? This question comes up at work periodically and I always have trouble answering it. See, there are very few 'things' that I actually want. Don't care about cars. Not interested in houses. Just not the way my mind works. So when the other folks reel off a list of things they would buy I always feel sort of left out. I rarely play the Georgia lottery anyway. Usually the jackpot has to get above 200 million. Then I will buy a couple of quick picks just to feel I'm part of the event. Were I to actually win the 200 million, I guess I'd have to give the distribution of the funds a bit more thought.
Like most people I'd make sure that my family was taken care of. Be nice to have plenty of money to care for my parents as they age, put my nephews through college, etc. But in many ways, I don't think my life would change that much. Most of my fun money goes toward books, and I tend to buy all of them that I want already. I don't collect antiquarian books so a lot of cash wouldn't really change my book buying much.
I guess I'd buy a condo or something, but that would probably be down the line. As I said, I don't really want a house, so I certainly wouldn't buy a big mansion or anything like that. I'd probably have a succession of nice apartments and just live in different places for a while. That might be fun.
Obviously I wouldn't have to work anymore, so that would be a major change. I'd have to find some stuff to do though. I didn't deal well with all the inactivity when I worked as a comic book writer and had so much free time.
Ultimately, were I suddenly wealthy, I would use the money for travel. I'd probably rent a house in London for a couple of months and fly any of my friends over who wanted to visit. (Take Beth and Laura to tea at Brown's Hotel.) Then I'd bump around Europe for a while. Re-visit Japan. That sort of thing.
And that's really all I can come up with. I've never been very interested in money. As long as I have enough to pay my bills and buy some books and movies, I'm pretty happy

No comments: