Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Reading Report


Been reading lots and lots and lots of short stories this week. Many from the Swords Against Darkness collections I mentioned a few posts back. Interesting thing about those is, some of the writers have stories in just about every volume and many use continuing characters, most of whom I wasn't familiar with. Richard L. Tierney's Simon of Gitta, and Ramsey Campbell's Ryre have become a couple of favorites.
I've been reading mystery shorts as well, finishing off The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes and Impossible Mysteries. I'm a sucker for a locked room mystery and this is a book full of them. One even has a solution amazingly similar to one I came up with for a story although for a completely different kind of murder. I still need to get around to writing the one about the man found stabbed in an old cedar chest that has been locked from the inside.
Also read a couple of John Jakes' Brak stories which resulted in the DoLB post about the blond Conan clone.
Just haven't been in a novel reading mood the last couple of weeks although I have plenty of books waiting in my to be read pile. Luckily I have lots of short story collections.

2 comments:

Boudica said...

Hello again fellow bibliophile: I’m glad I found your blog. I work full time and am 8 classes away from a bachelors degree in History Ed so I have hardly any time to read for enjoyment. I’ll trust your recommendations on good reads to get the maximum benefit from my precious spare time. Did you do a ‘best books of 06’? I’m more into thrillers and mysteries than fantasy, but I did enjoy Robin Hobbs’ ‘Assassin’s Apprentice’ series. I’ll look forward to your best books of ’07! By the way, returning to school while working will take care of any restlessness you may have in short order. I can’t remember the last time I was restless….. Oh, I heard someone say that Perdue might discontinue the HOPE scholarship in the near future. As of now you can pretty much go to North Metro or any tech school for free, but I don’t know how long that will last or even if that person knew what they were talking about. You might want to check that out – I have not had time, but I sure have appreciated the HOPE Teacher Scholarship Program to the tune of several thousand dollars on my education. Happy reading!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I didn't do a best books of 2006, mostly because I only started the blog toward the end of the year. I had several years there where I read nothing but mysteries and thrillers. These days the fiction is split between heroic fantasy and mystery, and I read a LOT of non fiction. My favorite current crime writers include Robert B. parker, Andrew Vachss, Ruth Rendell, Jonathan Kellerman, and Robert Crais. Older faves are John D. MacDonald, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Ellery Queen, Rex Stout, Ross MacDonald, and of course Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.