Monday, December 31, 2007

Broken Glass


I started David Drake's book The Fortress of Glass but soon hurled it aside in irritation. By page 25 Drake was still introducing his main characters. And I mean that quite literally. There are apparently over half a dozen main characters to this book, and Drake takes roughly three pages for each, stopping the plot to give you his or her entire background. Now if an editor saw a new writer doing this, he would chastise the writer for "info-dumping" but since it's Drake, a perennial best seller, he gets away with it. The book may well pick up in chapter two, but I won't be around to see it. A novel usually needs to get off to a quick start to hold my attention and this one isn't meeting that criteria. Bleh.

1 comment:

Gabriele C. said...

It's a usual problem with Drake. I read the first in the series, The Lords of the Isles, and it's definitely on the slow side. I did finish it because there was just enough interesting stuff going on to keep me going, but I never checked out the sequels.