Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Little Book Hunting


Headed out early this morning to Marietta Book Nook to get a little book hunting in. Found a couple of interesting items. One was Kandar, a slender sword & sorcery book from 1969 by Kenneth Bulmer. I'm fond of Bulmer's Dray Prescott series written under his pen name of Alan Burt Akers, and Kandar also had a Jeff Jones cover I hadn't seen before. Funny thing about Jones is in the late 60s/early 70s he was kind of a poor man's Frank Frazetta. If you wanted a Frazetta-ish painting, but couldn't afford Frank, Jones could knock one out pretty quick and was cheap. Thus, many cheap and poorly written Belmont, Tower, and Leisure books have fairly spiffy Jones covers.
Also picked up the novelization of the movie Conan the Barbarian. Yes, I know it sounds like something I'd already have, but I hated the movie and have no interest in reading the novelization. BUT this was a really nice copy and it was the single L. Sprague de Camp/Lin Carter Conan book I didn't own. According to de Camp, Carter didn't actually write any of this one but his name was on the contract so his name is on the book.
I picked up one of the Hercules:The Legendary Journeys tie-in books. If it's as bad as the single Xena novel I own I probably won't read it, but I figured I needed at least one in my collection since I liked the show so much.
And I bought a copy of Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell. Been enjoying his short stories so much I figured I'd give one of his novels a try. I'd read a synopsis of this one online and it sounds promising. Something about a lost Karloff/Lugosi film that was never released for mysterious and possibly supernatural reasons. I like the sound of that.
All and all, not a bad haul.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Hey - I never finished the Antares series - how did it end with the Star Lords and the other immortal whossits? And had no idea Akers was Bulmer whom (I think) I knew from other DAW books.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Paul, I never finished the series, which ran 37 volumes in America and several more in Germany, so I'm not sure how things turned out. Kenneth Bulmer wrote literally hundreds of books in pretty much every genre, under dozens of pseudonyms. Here's a link to a very handy page about Bulmer and Scorpio.

http://transfer.to/scorpio