Friday, December 28, 2007

Make Room! Make Room!

I was doing a little book culling and rearranging last night. A recent spate of collectible hardbacks has made it necessary for me to make some more room on my bookshelves. It also caused me to rethink some of my categories for shelving, particularly on the sword & sorcery shelves. Originally the top shelf was reserved for hardbacks of what I consider to be the five main sword & sorcery originators, Robert E. Howard, C.L. Moore, Fritz Lieber, Michael Moorcock, and Karl Edward Wagner. Below that I had Conan and Tarzan hardback and trade paperback comics collections (because the shelf is taller and they fit) and below that were H.P. Lovecraft related books and assorted fantasy, with art books on the lowest and tallest shelf.
With the recent acquisition of two of the three volumes of The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard and the Last of the Trunk, it occurred to me that I probably had enough REH related books to give him his own shelf. So I pulled everything that wasn't REH off the top shelf, added the Del Rey Trades of Kull, Bran Mak Morn, etc to the hardbacks and then pulled various Howard biographies and studies from the literary biography section on another bookcase and put all that together. It almost filled the shelf, leaving just a little room for the third volume of letters. So that worked.
Then I moved Moorcock, Lieber, etc to the next shelf, filling the Howard gap with Flashing Swords hardbacks and the recent Charles Saunders Imaro trades, making for a nice Sword & Sorcery shelf.
Then I added the new Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith and my two Ramsey Campbell books to the Lovecraft section, moved some art and comics related books around and eventually got things the way I wanted them. For now...

2 comments:

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, I have long given up sorting my bookshelves. Books go where the is space, period. It makes for some odd collections, though. I have some Roman non fiction books peacefully sharing space with Conan and Miles Vorkosigan; Dostoyevki hanging out with Bernard Cornwell, the Norse original of the Karlamagnús saga, and Jim Butcher; and Balzac plays with Elric and Whisly Galore. So far no one has complained. :)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, it seems like a lost cause sometimes, but I try to keep the shelves in order. Basically I have two major reference bookcases. That encompasses literary biography and criticism, forensics, art, and history. (These are the two that make people think I'm smart.) Then I have the sword & sorcery/heroic fantasy/horror case, which is the one I just rearranged. Then there's the hardback crime and mystery fiction case. Another bookcase holds books on comic book history and historical fiction, plus anything I can't classify. Then there's a case just for paperbacks and another case that houses the sword & sorcery paperback collection.