Monday, December 03, 2007

Weekend Report

I'm at about 80% this morning. This head cold has been very stubborn and just doesn't seem to want to go away. I thought the worst of it was over on Friday, but Saturday it moved back up into my head again and I had two days of nose blowing. That's somewhat better this morning, but it didn't make for a pleasant weekend and I don't feel much rested. Hopefully another couple of days will see the rest of it go away. Oh well, at least I can talk in a normal, if somewhat nasal, voice.
So the weekend was basically a wash. I just lounged around the apartment, reading, watching movies, and surfing the internet. Oh and napping. I can always tell when I'm sick because I actually sleep a lot.
So what did I watch? Well someone loaned me the Transformers movie so I finally watched that. I was impressed with the special effects, but otherwise didn't find the movie too enthralling. I have no nostalgia for those toys since I was too old to play with them when they came out and I didn't watch the cartoons or read the comic books. No connection.
Re-watched Mirrormask, the Neil Gaiman/Dave Mckean fantasy film. I like the movie, though the plot becomes a little thin on repeated viewings. Mckean managed to make the film look like his artwork which is pretty impressive. I noted this time how Mirrormask is almost an updated version of the Wizard of Oz in many ways. A young girl, dissatisfied with her life, dreams her way into a strange land where she must defeat an evil witch and save the land, before returning to her own world and an ambiguous ending that never clearly shows if her journey was a dream or not.
Also re-watched Pitch Black, the independent SF/Horror film that introduced the world to Richard B. Riddick. Pitch Black remains one of my favorite horror movies. The idea of monsters that can only exist in darkness somehow harkens back to childhood fears. As long as you stay in the light, they can't get you. But what if there wasn't any light? The movie also plays with stereotypes and manages to be somewhat unpredictable in terms of who will survive the long night. I wish that the sequel, The Chronicles of Riddick, had done better at the box office so that the third Riddick film would have been produced. Doesn't look good though, from what I hear.
Reading-wise I read some more in the Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard, an entire issue of Ellery Queen's mystery magazine, 500 plus pages of Supergirl reprints in the DC Showcase Supergirl volume, and some more short stories by Ramsey Campbell, Ed Hoch, Robert E. Howard, Fritz Lieber, and others. Oh, and I re-read The People that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
So anyway, that was the weekend. Hopefully the next one will be a bit more entertaining.

No comments: