Friday, January 25, 2008

In Praise of Penguin


Can I just say a quick word about Penguin Classics? I love these books. Penguin publishes affordable trade paperbacks of any number of classic works of literature, folklore, and so forth. They're well made books and rarely cost more than fifteen bucks. Some of my favorites include Michael Psellus' Fourteen Byzantine Rulers, Charles Dickens' Selected Journalism, and The Icelandic Sagas. I also have nifty Penguin editions of The Prisoner of Zenda, The Three Musketeers, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's, Court and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. In recent months I've bought The Agricola and The Germania by Tacitus, King Harald's Saga by Sturluson, Gothic Tales by Jane Gaskell, Seven Viking Romances from the Norse Sagas, and a new edition of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. All of these books have lengthy introductions, copious notes, and lists of recommended further reading. If there are several editions of a classic work available at the bookstore, I almost always pick the Penguin edition because I know I'll get a quality book with a lot of extras. Just thought I'd mention that since I have a big stack of their books here on my desk right now.

No comments: