Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Next Generation

Dell emailed me last night to tell me that my new PC has shipped. It's the XPS 420 with all the bells and whistles. It will be the most high end computer I've ever owned. For the tech heads among you it has the Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz,1066FSB) w/QuadCore Technology and 8MB cache, a 750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive, and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card. It should play any game I want and have enough power for all kinds of other stuff. The monitor is a 24" flat screen. The PC comes DVD and Blue Ray ready and includes a TV Tuner with a remote, so basically it doubles as a television if I want.
It could arrive as early as today, but I don't know if I'll get it hooked up immediately. I haven't done the prep work to switch from my old machine. I know some people just like to hook a cable to their old machine and download everything into the new one, but I tend to treat getting a new computer like moving to a new place. It's a chance to clean up and get rid of a lot of stuff. I need to check old emails and such and see what I want to keep. I'll want all my email addresses and some of my bookmarks. I've already made copies of my writing files and moved them to a couple of locations so that's covered. I don't keep a lot of pictures and such so that's no problem. Mainly I just need to make sure I have everything I want from the old PC before I power it down and that will take a little while. I plan on doing all that tonight, so if the PC comes today I might take the afternoon off tomorrow (work schedule permitting) and set it up. Barring that it will be Thursday night before I'd have a time to mess with it. Wednesday nights are taken. But with any luck, by the weekend I'll be talking to all you fine folks from my new computer.

4 comments:

cliff said...

The eagle has landed!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Roger that, Houston. I have a floor full of new components and I'm about to unplug the old PC. Wish me luck.

Jeri said...

How exciting! A Quad Core! I'm having geek visions already of what I would want to do with *that*... ;)

Good luck on the install and "move"!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I've got it up and running, Jeri, and in your honor, I tested the DVD player with one of my Xena DVDs. Amazing picture quality.