Thursday, March 13, 2008

Condition

When I got to the comic book store last night, I had a package waiting for me. Six books that I had won in an ebay auction. The seller had listed the books as being in good condition with normal shelf wear. That was true of four of them. They had tight spines, all pages and covers intact, and were generally solid books. The other two books weren't quite up to what the seller had promised. One had a tear in the cover painting, where a sticker or something had been removed, and the other had a loose spine and a partially detached cover. I'd consider these reading copies at best.
Now the good news is they were really cheap. The price I paid was certainly worth the four books in good shape. The bad news is, one of the two that was damaged was one I really needed for my collection, so now I have to try and find another copy.
It's unlikely that I'll leave negative feedback. I was pleased with four of the books, and as I said, I didn't pay too much so I'll probably just let it go. However, I do wonder if the seller really thought those two chewed up books were in "good shape." Matters of opinion aside, they were pretty obviously damaged. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for perfect copies. Wouldn't be shopping online if I were. But I do want books in good condition unless it's something I just plan to read and get rid of.
The search goes on.

2 comments:

Lanny said...

LMK which book you are looking for. We go to big used book stores almost every week. I'll keep an eye open.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks, man. Will do. This is a particular edition of some Ace books and I'm trying to get matching covers. I have a line on a good copy of the one that was damaged, but if that doesn't pan out, I'll send you images of them.