Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Last Celt

Glenn Lord's The Last Celt was one of the first and most revered books about Robert E. Howard, and despite my nearly lifelong interest in the creator of Conan and my large collection of Howard related materials, I've never owned a copy. There are two reasons for this. One, the book has always been vastly overpriced whenever I've come across a copy. Two, while the hardback weighs in at a hefty 400 plus pages, right at three quarters of those pages are given over to a bibliography of Howard's works. There's barely a hundred pages of information about Howard in the volume. The rest of the book is basically a big list.
The redoubtable Cliff was kind enough to loan me his copy, and I read through the articles pretty quickly. Not much here that I didn't already know, especially since most of the contents of the book, which was originally published in 1976, have been reprinted and quoted in many other Howard publications. Still, it was nice to finally read The Last Celt after hearing about it for so many years. I'll pick it up if I ever come across a copy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

No comments: