Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Weekend So Far


Well the cats decided that I really needed to be up at 5:00 this morning. They didn't want anything, Just wanted me to join the party I guess. Of course both of them were fast asleep again before an hour had passed. Sigh.
So, the long weekend. What have I been up to? Let's see. Thursday I went out book shopping early but didn't have much luck. Still kind of blah about most of the new stuff out there. I did end up buying two collections of British mystery short stories from the remaindered table. So not a complete loss.
I picked up the Disney movie, Enchanted, which I kept meaning to see at the theater and kept forgetting. I really enjoyed it. I know, I know. Sappy comedy romance but I found it a lot of fun, particularly the references to old Disney cartoons. There are nice tips of the hat to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and especially Snow White. If you have fond memories of old Disney films, you'll get a kick out of Enchanted. The cast is great too, especially Amy Adams as Giselle and Susan Sarandon, chewing the scenery like nobody's business, as the evil Queen Narissa. James Marsden (Cyclops) is good as the clueless prince. Terrific special effects in a dragon sequence lifted from Sleeping Beauty and a couple of really funny bits too.
Of course it didn't hurt that the movie had a built in hook for me, since it involves one of my favorite premises, a fictional character come to the real world. (This also explains why I'm apparently the only person who liked the Schwarzenegger film The Last Action Hero.)
Friday I met Brian for lunch and we went to the Kennesaw Fed-Ex hub to pick up something Brian had ordered. That's a BIG place. I did a re-read of Fritz Lieber's The Swords of Lankhmar, the only novel length adventure of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Then I watched a couple of episodes of season two of Torchwood that Whitney was kind enough to loan me. I'm enjoying the show, though I don't think the writing is quite as strong as it was last year, and I'm getting a little tired of Captain Jack snogging everything that moves. Still the cast seems a bit more settled and comfortable in their roles and there's a guest shot by Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones. I love Martha.
Played Lord of the Rings online a little bit, but Laura is out of town and it's not as much fun without her. Then I read some of the short stories I'd bought. Did the usual mindless internet surfing. Played with Bruce. He loves the laser pointer. Amelia is settled in now though she had a rough night Thursday when a couple of stray cats showed up on the breezeway at my apartment. She did NOT like that. Much howling and spitting through the door. I'm sure the strays were suitably impressed.
So now it's Saturday morning and I realized I hadn't blogged much this week so I sat down to type out this rambling update. Hey, I was up anyway.

No comments: