Monday, April 14, 2008

The Weekend

Weekend got off to a good start. Friday the owner of the company I work for came by and took the entire office to lunch. Went to Longhorn where I had a giant hamburger with mashed potatoes, and some amazingly good banana cheesecake.
Saturday Whitney emailed me to let me know that a DVD I'd ordered had been shipped to Dr. No's, so I swung over and picked that up. It's a two disk documentary about Byzantium. Four hours worth of Byzantine history. I watched the first hour and enjoyed it tremendously. Actually learned some stuff I didn't know.
Then I watched a couple of episodes of Torchwood. Only two left to finish season two. I'm still not finding it to be as strong as season one, but it remains an enjoyable show and Gwen is still cute.
I played Lord of the Rings Online quite a bit Saturday afternoon. One of the members of my Kinship, (like a club or guild) who's a high level player and an in-game metal smith, made me two swords which deal a tremendous amount of damage, so suddenly I'm much more dangerous. I've put the weapons to good use, killing everything in sight.
Sunday I was up early and drove over to the Marietta Square to have breakfast at the Three Bears Cafe, a very hip restaurant owned by my pal Anthony. (Check the link at the bottom of this post.) I had a gigantic omelet with bison meat, jalapenos, and jack cheese. Chatted with Anthony a bit and drank a lot of coffee. The Three Bears is more like a place you'd expect to find in Virginia Highlands, Candler Park, or even Little Five Points but it's right in the middle of Marietta. I like to go early during the summer and eat outside.
I made a quick stop at Starbucks and got a Caramel Macchiato, then went to Borders and browsed for a bit. I bought a low carb/high protein cookbook. I need some new ideas for stuff to cook. Then got a nice surprise when I found a new book of Essays by Pulitzer prize winning novelist Michael Chabon. I'll talk more about that later, but I've already read a couple of the essays and it's a very nifty book. Spent the rest of Sunday reading and chilling.
So that's the weekend that was. I've certainly had worse.


http://threebearscafe.com/

No comments: