Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Complete Kirby


DC Comics is trying hard to be my best friend. Cliff tells me that after the success of their four volume Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus series, they are now going to publish companion volumes of the rest of Kirby's DC output from the 1970s. They released the complete OMAC last night in the same format as the Fourth World books and next up is the complete Demon. Jack's brief run on the World War Two comic The Losers probably wasn't long enough to fill a hardback book (The OMAC book is pretty slim.) but hopefully they'll put together a volume of odds and ends so we can get The Losers, Sandman, The Avenger, Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter (Yes, Jack drew one issue.) and the various one offs Kirby did for First Issue Special such as Atlas and Manhunter. Of special interest is the kid gang series The Dingbats of Danger Street. Only one story appeared in First Issue Special, but reportedly Jack had drawn two more issues. I wonder if DC has stats for those. I've seen some original art from Dingbats #2 over the years.
Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth, the longest running and my personal favorite of Kirby's DC books, is a slight problem for the reprint series because DC has already printed two hardback volumes of Kamandi in their DC Archives series. They're not sure how the public would react if they did a Kamandi series in the Fourth World format, because they'd either have to suspend the Archives series, which would doubtless upset some collectors, or publish the same reprints in two different formats. Personally I'd quit buying the Archives and switch to the other format in a heartbeat if they started over from issue one of Kamandi. I'd really like to have all the DC Kirby material in matching volumes.

2 comments:

Lanny said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I snatched up a copy yesterday!

I think Demon volume is a must! I think that was may favorite post Fourth World book after Kamandi.

Hey, have you read "Tales to Astonish" by Ronin Ro?

I'm guessing you have, but I had to ask as I've found copies for $5!

I'm about halfway through.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Seek and you shall find. The Demon volume is slated for release in November according to Amazon. I have indeed read tales to Astonish and liked it quite a bit. Another book you really should read is Gerard Jones' Men of Tomorrow. More of a general history of comics but one of the best books I've ever read on the subject.