Monday, May 12, 2008

Iron Man

Saw Iron Man on Saturday and really enjoyed it. I thought it probably the best superhero movie since the first Spiderman film. The first part of the movie is a reasonably accurate version of the character's comic book origin, though updated of course. The rest of the movie is an up and at em action film with some eye popping special effects. Someone pointed out that I'm less critical of this film than I have been of other superhero movies. I've been recommending it with very few qualifications.
I think that's because it didn't really matter to me. See I was never a big Iron Man fan. Rarely read the comic and had no real attachment to the character. I knew who he was and what his origin was, and I had occasionally read his adventures over the years, enough to get most of the in-jokes in the movie, but overall I didn't have any of the emotional investment that I had in Spiderman, who is one of my favorite characters or Superman who IS my favorite character. And for the record, I hated the new Superman film.
But with Iron Man it was kind of nice not to be the arbiter of comic book accuracy and to be able to just sit back and enjoy the movie. The cast is A-list with Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges. Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job of playing Iron Man's alter ego Tony Stark. I thought the actress who played the reporter was a lot hotter than Gwyneth, but that's just personal preference.
So yeah, I loved Iron Man. Go see it. And if you're a comics fan be sure and stay until the end credits have rolled for a special surprise. Of course if you're a fan I probably don't have to tell you to do that.

No comments: