Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend Report

Not a bad weekend. Met my pal Brian for lunch at Taco Mac on Friday and had our usual conversations about books, games, movies, and life in general. Only get to see Brian every couple of weeks these days so nice to catch up.
Saturday I went down to visit Trish's cats since Trish was away for the weekend. I stopped by Marietta Booknook on my way and had one nice find, a very good copy of the 1965 anthology The Spell of Seven. This was L. Sprague Decamp's follow up to his 1963 volume Swords and Sorcery and contains short stories by such sword & sorcery greats as Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock, and of course, Robert E. Howard. There was only one story in the book that I didn't have in another collection, but I still wanted this one because it's an important early collection of sword & sorcery fiction. I can't agree with all of De Camp's choices since I don't think of Lord Dunsany or Clark Ashton Smith as sword & sorcery writers, but the definition of the genre was still pretty loose back in the day. Actually it's still pretty loose now. I need to write an essay about that soon.
I also picked up the alternate cover edition of John Jakes's Mention My Name in Atlantis that I talked about in the previous post, an H.P. Lovecraft paperback collection I hadn't seen before, Brother Odd, the third of Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books, and a battered copy of Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon.
Then I went over to Trish's place and checked on the cats. Bruce was as thrilled to see me as ever and didn't leave my side while I hung around. Amelia was civil, allowing herself to be petted before doing her Greta Garbo act. I hung out for a couple of hours and then headed back to my place, where I worked hard at leveling up in Lord of the Rings Online. I'm this close to level 31 out of a possible 50, so I'm getting up there. Teamed up with some nice folks and did a couple of fairly difficult quests. I've also changed Kharrn's haircut so I'll have to post new pics. yes, you can visit a barber while you're in Bree.
Sunday was fairly low key. I re-read the Michael Moorcock Elric short, Kings in Darkness, then I finished up the book Lovecraft at Last which Cliff had loaned me. I can't say much about this one that Cliff hasn't already said over at his blog, but I will say that it was a very moving book and I feel that I have a much better understanding of H.P. Lovecraft as a human being. Highly recommended.
As noted earlier, I had a lot of strange dreams over the weekend, but none really stayed with me. No more visits with Sonny Bono. That's pretty much all I have to report. I have a few adventures planned for the near future, but I'll talk more about that later.

No comments: