Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Hill of Haunted Houses

While I was reading the Cambridge Guide to Gothic Literature, several of the essays made reference to the 2001 Nichole Kidman film The Others as 'the' Gothic film of recent years. Not having seen it, I made a mental note to pick up a used copy next time I was at Movie Stop. I did that this morning, but as I was looking around in the horror section I also spotted a copy of one of my absolute favorite scary movies, 1963's The Haunting with Julie Harris. Based on Shirley Jackson's novel, The Haunting of Hillhouse, this is one of the best scary movies of all time, even though you never actually see any ghosts, monsters, or whatever. But boy it has some creepy moments.
Anyway, I also noticed a copy of the 1973 film The Legend of Hellhouse. This one was based on a novel by Richard Matheson who also wrote the recently re-filmed vampire story I Am Legend. Not in a class with The Haunting, but still pretty creepy. So I ended up with a nice little stack of haunted house movies.
Oh, and I bought the new Rambo movie. has nothing to do with haunted houses but they had it cheap and I wanted to see it.

No comments: