Monday, July 07, 2008

No Good Deed...

During the last week or so, while I was playing Lord of the Rings Online, I kept seeing one of the other players trying to get some people to help with one of the longer, more difficult quests. It was a quest that I had passed up mostly through chance, but at my current level the experience points wouldn't really be high enough to make it worth my while. Still, I began to feel sorry for the player because she kept posting and no one was offering to help. So Saturday afternoon I logged in at about 3:00 and saw that the player was once again in the LFF (looking for fellowship channel) asking for help. Sap that I am, I said I'd go along.
Once a few other players noted that a fairly high level character had joined up we got some more volunteers, including one who was a couple of levels higher than me, and so we set out to complete the quest. Turned out that even with me and the other higher level, we were still a little underpowered and so we kept getting killed and starting over and getting killed and starting over and getting killed and starting over and...
Ended up taking almost four hours to finish the darn thing. And of course it didn't really do me much good point wise or money wise. Pretty much shot my afternoon. The player was very appreciative though. I'm glad I helped her, but one of my favorite maxims 'no good deed goes unpunished' once again turned out to be true. Of course the next day I rushed in to help yet another player who was stuck on a quest. I wonder if I can get a big red "S" to put on my avatar's chest...

No comments: