Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ten Books Everyone Should Read

My friend Julie is attempting to expand her reading, and she has asked her friends to give her lists of what they consider to be Ten Books Everyone Should Read during their lifetime. I'm assuming she meant fiction, so I'm going with that. I explained to Julie, that having read somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty thousand books, it might be hard to narrow things down to ten. As a result, I'll be posting sub-lists in the future of Top Five Private Eye Novels, Top Five Fantasy Novels, etc. But for now, I'm supplying a list of ten books that I do think everyone should read. Keep in mind, these are not my ten FAVORITE books. For instance you won't find any sword & sorcery on this list. I know S&S is a small sub genre and I don't think it's for everyone. But I'll definitely be posting a list of top five or ten S&S stories at some point. In the meantime, here are ten books I think everyone should read. All of these books were important to me at various stages of my life and remain so. If you'd like to make your own list, send it my way and I'll pass it along to Julie.

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

1 comment:

John said...

If you were to include non-fiction, I would add In Cold Blood by Truman Capote to your list. It is possibly the best piece of American non-fiction ever written.