Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Editor in the Tower

After waiting two weeks I sat down today to re-read and edit my sword & sorcery short story, The Dweller in the Tower. I was rather pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't require as much editing as I'd anticipated. I changed a few words, corrected some punctuation, and added some horse lore supplied to me by Laura, who knows all about horses. But for the most part the story stands as it was written, and I'm reasonably pleased with it. It has a beginning, middle, and end and an interesting monster, unlike any I've read about before in a fantasy tale. The only complaint I have with the story is that aside from the monster, the rest of the tale isn't all that original, but then I was trying to write a traditional sword & sorcery story so I guess I should have expected some genre tropes to creep in.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I think dweller owes more to Michael Moorcock than to Robert E. Howard. The plot reminds me more of an Elric yarn that a Conan tale, though I wasn't thinking of either man's work when I was plotting the synopsis. And I followed that synopsis very closely, allowing me to concentrate on the writing and not the plotting. Definitely an experiment worth repeating.
Anyway, I'm glad to have finished a bit of fiction here in the the last quarter of the year. Funny thing about writing stories. When you don't do it for a while, you always wonder if you can come back and do it again. Or at least, I do.

1 comment:

Lanny said...

Sounds great! When do we get a peek???