Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gypsies, Elves, and Things

Swung by Barnes & Noble yesterday and picked up The Gypsy Morph, the third volume in Terry Brooks's Genesis of Shannara series which I've been looking forward to for about a year. Believe it or not I didn't sit down and start reading it the second I got home. Part of that was that I was still not quite done with F. Paul Wilson's All the Rage. That one turned out to be a great book and the last quarter or so was full tilt suspense with an unexpected twist. Great stuff.
The other part of my not beginning Gypsy Morph was that I wanted to do a little catching up on the previous two books in the series. See, through and odd coincidence last year when I picked up the first book, Armageddon's Children used, it was the week before the second volume, The Elves of Cintra, was released. Just a fluke, but it allowed me to read two parts of a three part series back to back. And what I remembered from reading those two books was that there was an enormous cast of characters and a whole bunch of sub plots so I decided a little refresher was called for.
After I finished All the Rage I took a couple of hours to play Lord of the Rings online. I had finally reached level 50, the top level in the game, right before logging off the previous evening and I just wanted to wander around Middle Earth for a while simply enjoying being a level 50.
Then I pulled Children and Cintra off the shelf and plopped down with them. I re-read the first three chapters of Armageddon's Children, then scanned a bunch of middle chapters, then read the last three chapters. Did the same with Elves of Cintra. That had the desired effect of refreshing my memory of all the plots, characters, etc. I'll probably start Gypsy Morph on Thursday night. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

No comments: