Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Gypsy Morph


Terry Brooks' The Gypsy Morph did not disappoint. It was just as good a read as the two previous volumes in the genesis of Shanarra trilogy. Again I found myself surprised at how much I liked these three books compared to Brooks' other Shanarra novels, which I'd usually found entertaining but nothing special.
It's the mix of post apocalyptic SF tropes with more traditional Tolkienesque fantasy elements I think. I've always liked post apocalypse books. Not sure why. Gypsy Morph has all the stuff you'd expect from that genre. Mutants, monsters, and militias. A world made into a wasteland by plague, famine, and nuclear fall out. Plus it has Logan Tom and Angel Perez, the last two remaining Knights of the Word, and the Elves of the Cintra who finally get to do all the things you expect elves to do. Shooting bows and fighting with swords and knives,and appearing from nowhere out of the trees. It doesn't seem like these two seemingly disparate elements would work but somehow Brooks pulls it all together.
There were a couple of things I didn't like, mostly related to overly cute animal sidekicks, but hey, Brooks knows his major audience and he knows they like stuff like that. That's a minor quibble though. The book has action, adventure, romance, friendship, loss, sacrifice, and all kinds of other good things that make for entertaining fiction. I enjoyed it a lot. Fortunately for me the next two books in the Shanarra series are follow-ups to this trilogy, so he;s not quite done showing how our modern world became the world of the Sword of Shanarra. I'll be waiting to find out.

No comments: