Monday, August 11, 2008

Reading Report

Was a big weekend for reading. I finally got around to reading "Terminal," Andrew Vachss' penultimate novel about his character Burke. According to his web page the next Burke book will be the last. I haven't been as taken with the last few books in the series, but I suspect that has more to do with me than with Vachss. Still, I will always buy any book the man writes because I know where the money goes. Vachss is a lawyer who specializes in the protection of abused children and supporting his work is supporting his cause. I've a long history with Vachss, which I'll get around to in a longer post. The man changed my world view and my life and the lessons I learned from him continue to effect the way I see the world.
After a trip down the mean streets with Vachss I needed some lighter reading fare so I switched to a re-read of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan the Terrible. This is one of my favorites of the Tarzan books as it contains the lost land of Pal-u-don, where dwell a race of men with prehensile tales, saber tooth tigers, and dinosaurs. Plus Tarzan finally finds Jane who has been missing for the last few books.
Cliff had loaned me two more of his Carcosa press volumes, collections of short stories by E. Hoffman Price and Hugh B. Cave. Read several stories out of each. Price wrote mostly action-adventure yarns for the pulps and Cave mostly horror. Some good stuff.
I also re-read H.P. Lovecraft's novella The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, Robert E. Howard's The Valley of the Worm, and then read the first two chapters of E. Hoffman Price's memoir Book of the dead, describing his friendships with Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright and author Otis Adelbert Kline. Each chapter of Book of the Dead features Prices memories of a different figure from the pulps of the 1930s-40s. Price traveled a lot and met many of the great pulp wordsmiths including Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and Clark Ashton Smith. Fascinating.
Somewhere in there I also played Lord of the Rings Online, did some drawing, and watched some Doctor Who Episodes. Looking back I'm not sure how I got all that into two days...

No comments: