Monday, October 20, 2008

A Little Halloween Poetry

"If at his counsel I should turn aside
Into that ominous tract which, all agree,
Hides the Dark Tower. Yet acquiescingly
I did turn as he pointed: neither pride
Nor hope rekindling at the end descried,
So much as gladness that some end might be."

Everyone knows The Raven and other standard Halloween poems, so I thought I'd offer something a little different. Long before I knew anything about Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I'd been creeped out by Robert Browning's Poem 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came.' I had thought at one point it might make a good basis for a sword & sorcery story, but after learning that Mr. King had staked out that particular poem for himself I abandoned that idea. But I still love the poem and I still find it eerie and a little disturbing. It's too long to post the whole thing here so I'm supplying a link to an etext.

http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/268.html

1 comment:

Elsa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.