Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Devil You Know


While I was grocery shopping yesterday, I was in the soup aisle and I happen to catch a familiar logo out of the corner of my eye. A tiny red devil on a background of white paper. Deviled Ham. I guess it's been thirty years or so since I had any deviled ham. We would eat it on crackers or bread when I was just a kid whenever we'd go camping or on an impromptu picnic, and my mother used to mix it with pickle relish and boiled eggs to make a kind of ham salad.
If you've never had it, it comes in small cans, about the size of a cat food can, and the sturdy metal can is always wrapped in white paper. The meat itself is, as you would expect, very spicy.
So of course, I bought a can and took it home and ate the deviled ham on wheat bread. It tasted just the way I remembered it. It's manufactured bu Underwood and according to their website they introduced it in 1868. It's also low carb and high protein which is always a plus for me. Next time I think I'll have it on toast with eggs. Maybe with a little tobasco.
I called my mom and told her I'd had deviled ham for lunch and she found that vastly amusing. She said that now that I'd reminded her of it, she'd like some too and planned to buy some on her next shopping trip. It's nice to know that some memories are just waiting on the shelf for you.

2 comments:

Lanny said...

Mmmmmm....

Deviled Ham....

Ate it ALL the time as a kid...

mcboatner said...

It has to be on Ritz crackers though....