Friday, November 28, 2008

Not Quite What I Expected.


A couple of years ago I saw this cover for a 1965 issue of Tarzan and I thought, "Wow, that must be some story. Giant wasps and frozen Romans, Vikings, etc."
So I bid on that issue several times on Ebay and someone always seemed to outbid me at the last minute. The other night the issue popped up again and I bid on it and this time I won. So today I finally got to read the issue and I was rather disappointed. See, back in the 60s, comics were notorious for featuring scenes on the cover that didn't actually occur in the story within. This is sort of what happened here. There are giant wasps, but they aren't as big as the ones on the cover, and there are frozen Romans, etc, but Tarzan doesn't fight them in the cave and in fact, only one Roman is actually thawed out, not a whole legion like on the cover. This is one of those times when the cover is waaaaay better than the story inside.
So anyway, now I'm thinking maybe I should write a story that actually fits that cover. I could use my Tarzan stand-in, Rakar the Jungle Lord. I'm thinking of calling it "Rakar and the Cavern of Time." Sounds nice and pulpish. Anyway, we'll see if I can actually think of a story that does the cover justice.

3 comments:

Steven R. Harbin aka coachhollywood67 said...

I say go for it Charles!

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, a whole legion of thawed up Romans could be some real good fun. A full strength legion was about 5000 of the chaps.

Your hero could start with a cohort of 500 men to warm up. :)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Now we know what happened to the lost legion. They were frozen by giant wasps.