Monday, February 16, 2009

Where Would You Go?

Over at one of the Yahoo Groups that I belong to, a member mentioned the Woody Allen short story The Kugelmass Episode, which is about a bored middle age Jewish man who finds that through a magic cabinet he can enter the world of any book, play or short story. He ends up having an affair with Madame Bovary and various complications ensue. The club member was bringing up the story to ask the hypothetical and fun question, if you could get access to the magic cabinet, what book or story would you enter?
Now I had to give that some thought. If I jumped into a Conan story I'd probably just get killed, so I didn't think that was a good idea. Same thing with most fantasy and SF. I finally decided that I'd leap into one of the Sherlock Holmes stories, probably the Six Napoleons, so I could join Holmes and Watson in dashing around Victorian London in search of a dangerous killer and a stolen treasure. Of course Holmes would be suspicious of me because he would deduce that there was something odd about me but he wouldn't be able to figure out what it was. Actually that might make a good story itself. Hmmm.
Anyway, I'm extending the question to the book lovers among you. If you could enter any piece of fiction, what would it be? I'd stay clear of Madame Bovary though if I were you.

4 comments:

lk said...

Any of a number of Georgette Heyer books, maybe SYLVESTER first because there are a lot of horsie things in it.

Of course I'd probably have to play a fusty old chaperone that all the characters try to avoid at Almack's. ><

Beth said...

Yeah, I'm with LK - a good comic Romance is the place to go. It's nice and safe, plus you might get laid. Or at least get to wear frilly dresses and have servants.

TStockmann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul said...

Sorry, Chas - this was such an interesting question that I originally posted under the wrong log-on. I'd choose Hannes Bok's Beyond the Golden Stair. I'm reckless enough to want to see what I'd look like wearing my soul on the outside.

But Zelazny's Isle of the Dead would be great if i was given the world shaping ability - or enough money to buy a custom-made one from someone who did.