Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beyond Kazad-dum

Presumably, Lord of the Rings Online opens a new area today, Lothlorien. I'm pretty psyched about that because the chapters where the Fellowship enters the lands of the elves were always among my favorites in The Fellowship of the Ring. I say presumably because Game Servers being what they are, I'd say there's a good chance there will be some sort of technical difficulties just as there were the first days they opened the Mines of Moria. However, I have already downloaded the new patch and it will supposedly be activated after 12:00 noon today, so we'll see.
According the LotR website, you can't just go strolling into Caras Galadhon though. You have to earn the trust of the elves first by doing a bunch of quests in the forest area of Lothlorien. Only after completing these quests can you gain audience with the Lady Galadriel. Also, following the timeline of the game, which parallels the events in The Lord of the Rings books, the fellowship is resting in Lothlorien having just passed the Mines of Moria and having lost the wizard Gandalf to the balrog, so players can reunite with Frodo and the gang, last seen in Rivendell.
I'm always tickled when events of the game allow me to interact with the Fellowship. Silly I know, but I guess I'm still just a fanboy at heart. And Galadriel is one of my favorite characters from the books, so I'm looking forward to meeting her. The attention to detail in the game and the adherence to the lore of Tolkien's books continues to impress me. See you in Middle Earth.

No comments: