Monday, March 02, 2009

In Like Kimba

March came in like a white lion as a freak winter storm dropped about three inches of snow around my place on Sunday. It snowed hard from about 10:00 am until about 3:30 pm. Fortunately we'd had warm weather for the preceding few days and initially the snow melted as soon as it hit the ground. But as the big, wet flakes continued to fall, the grassy areas began to turn white and soon there was significant accumulation on trees and cars. I began to wonder if I'd make it to work on Monday as about three o'clock a layer of slush had begun to solidify into ice on the entire parking lot at my apartment complex. But once the snow stopped falling the slush melted away.
In many ways this was a perfect storm for me. I'm old enough now that I don't have much interest in playing in the snow, but I love to watch it fall. One entire wall of my place is windows and it was a great place to sit and watch the snow. Bruce the cat was absolutely fascinated. I don't think he'd ever seen snow before and the quarter size flakes were just so many moving objects to him. He stood on his back legs, front paws on the window sill, and watched the snow fall, occasionally making the same odd little noises he makes when he sees birds in the trees outside the window.
We so rarely get snow in Georgia that it's always a treat for me. (I can see Beth just shaking her head at me.) I watched the snow fall for a while, and then I sat around and read most of the day while the cats napped. Not a bad Sunday.
This morning most of the snow is gone, though there are patches of the infamous 'black' ice on the roadways, so hey, let's be careful out there.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I get why people who rarely get snow would love to see it once in a while.

So no head-shaking. I more snorted, really. ;)