Monday, April 13, 2009

'Girl Running Away From House' Books


Seeing the fantastic cover for Philip Jose Farmer and Win Scott Eckert's new book The Evil In Pemberley House (Yes, Jane Austen's Pemberley) reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom was reading Gothic Romance novels hand over fist. I mean she probably read several hundred of them or so it seemed to me, and they all seemed to have the same cover, a girl in her nightdress running away from a dark house. As a child I referred to them as 'girl running away from house' books, and in fact still call them that when mom and I are discussing our histories as readers. Just the other day we were talking about what we've been reading recently and mom mentioned that she simply couldn't read some of the stuff she used to read years ago. She said, "I don't think I could even make it through one of those girl running away from house books." Possibly not, but she sure loved them back in the day. Anyway jump over to Win's blog and check out the cover. I was already looking forward to the book and the cover just makes it better.

http://woldnewton.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Win Scott Eckert said...

Charles, my wife and I just saw your blog post, and the great covers you posted with it.

We are both singularly amused!

Thanks much for the plug. :-)